Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Top 5

My friend, Sierra did a blog post about her top 5 memories with her husband.  I thought that was such a fun idea, so I'm copy-catting!  Like Sierra, I will stay away from the obvious; first date, engagement, wedding day, births of our children, etc.

p.s.  I really wish I had pictures for some of these memories, but alas...these were from a time before digital cameras, and to be quite honest, I don't feel like digging through the tubs in my garage to find pictues, scan, and post.  I know.  I'm lazy.  It's summer...what more can I say?  :)

Here are my Top 5, in no particular order:

1.
My 21st birthday.  Even though I grew up in Michigan my whole-entire life, I had never been to Chicago, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump away.  So, for my 21st birthday, Darrin took me to Chi-town for the day.  We went to the Shedd Aquarium and shopped on Michigan Ave.  It was a fun and special day!

2.
Road Trips in college.  Darrin and I met while in college in Missouri, but we were both from Michigan.  That was convenient for going home during the holidays.  We would load up his 1989 Crown Victoria with other college friends from Michigan and drive home.  We would sing, play games, and give Darrin headaches with our Bath and Body Works lotion smells.  Other times, we would take road trips to Tennessee.  We had friends who lived there and Darrin had been stationed at Fort Campbell, KY, so we went there often for long weekends.
***One of our favorite road trip games:  At night time, we would buy a couple rolls of SweetTarts.  We would each pop one in our mouth and try to guess the color.  Then we would turn on the light to see if we were right.  Silly fun = the best kind of fun!

3.
Sitting in our dorm lobby and making fun of all the couples.  I know this sounds like an oxy-moron, being that we were a couple, but I'll explain.  In Bible college, it's a well-known fact that most/a majority of people are there to find a husband/wife.  As soon as they meet, they're "in love".  Darrin and I would sit in the lobby and watch couples that had literally known each other for 2 days, caressing each other's faces and saying, "I love you."  How exactly does that work?  "What color is your toothbrush?"  "Red."  "Mine too!  It was meant to be!  I love you!" 

I know it's un-romantic of us, but we laughed at couples like that...a lot. 

4.
Youth Trips.  When Darrin and I first moved to NM, he was a youth pastor and we didn't have kids yet.  We spent our summers going to Camp, Whitewater Rafting Trips, Six Flags Trips, and annual Missions Trips to Mexico (actually, the trips to Mexico were every February).  It was a fun time of building relationships and having fun doing ministry together.

5.
Finding out about each pregnancy.  I know I said I would stay away from the births of our children, but this isn't about their births.  It's about finding out about each pregnancy.  Darrin and I struggled with infertility.  We had all the tests done and in the end, we were told that our chances of having our own children were "slim to none".  So, naturally, each time we found out I was pregnant, was a huge miracle and something we'll always remember.  Every time was an amazing surprise!

What are your Top 5 memories???  Link-up and share!

4 comments:

  1. yay! I'm glad you jumped on the band wagon! It's so much fun to think back on those fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha...i LOVE #3. hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sierra--YES, it is! And sometimes I get so caught up in the here-and-now, I need to remember those fun times! Thanks for posting yours! :)

    Lori--LOL...only CBC'ers REALLY understand #3! :) LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE number 3, we totally did the same thing!

    My heart melted with number 5. we can relate to that too. It's amazing to find out you are pregnant when you have been told they don't know why you can't have kids!

    ReplyDelete