Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mango Salsa

I don't know what the weather's been like where you live, but here in Albuquerque, it's been H-O-T!  I've found myself craving something snack-y, but refreshing. 

I have a friend at church who was born and raised in Puerto Rico and now lives in New Mexico.  She invited my family to dinner one night...EVERYTHING she made was amazing!  But one thing stuck out to me...her Mango Salsa.  This is my version:

THE STUFF YOU'LL NEED:
(And as an added bonus, I bought all of the ingredients at my local Farmer's Market.)
Mangoes (I used 3 large ones), Cilantro, Green Onions, 1 Jalapeño, and 1 Lime (Yes, yes, I know there are 3 limes here.  I wasn't sure how many I'd actually use when I took the first picture.)

STEP 1:
Cut your mangoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl.
***NOTE:  Cutting mangoes can be a messy business.  Be ye prepared.

STEP 2:
Chop up about 1/4 cup of cilantro and add to the bowl.  You can add more or less depending on your own personal taste.  I, personally, love the bright, fresh taste of cilantro, so I added quite a bit.


STEP 3:
Chop up the stalks of 1-2 green onions and add to the bowl.  (Again, this depends on personal preference.)  I used 2 onions. And then I realized I should've bought some Altoids.
Look at the pretty colors!

STEP 4:
Finely chop a jalapeno...unless you like big chunks of jalapeno in your salsa.  In that case, roughly chop a jalapeno.  The jalapeno I bought was rather large.  I used all of it, but the amount of jalapeno is completely up to you, depending on how spicy you want your salsa to be.  I like a little lot of spice in my life!

STEP 5:
Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into your bowl.

STEP 6:
Gently stir everything together.  This salsa is great on tortilla chips, crackers, or in lettuce wraps!

***The next time I make this, I think I might try it with peaches instead of mangoes...YUM!

***Let me know if you make this delicious salsa and how it turns out for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment