Thursday, June 7, 2012

Waffles or Spaghetti?

Waffles.  Golden and crispy, soft on the inside.  Little compartments for just the right amount of syrup in each bite. 

Spaghetti.  Tangly and fun to eat.  Reminds me of Lady and the Tramp. Can't tell where one noodle begins and another one ends.

I once saw a book titled, Men are Like Waffles, Women are Like Spaghetti. I didn't read it.  I got the gist of the book from the title. 

According to this train of thought, men have all these little "compartments" in their brain.  Like if I'm talking to my husband about what we're having for dinner tonight, but then I start talking about what movie we should see on Friday, he's lost, and I don't get why.  It all made perfect sense to me.  But, of course, according to the title of the book, it's because like spaghetti noodles on a plate have no orderly beginning and end, neither do my thoughts. 

I kind-of resent that.

Ok.  Not kind-of.  I do resent that.  There is a perfectly logical flow to my thoughts.

Just because you don't see the beginnings and endings of my thoughts doesn't mean they aren't logical to me.  Give us women some credit.  Sometimes I can totally relate to Anne of Green Gables who said,  "But if you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."  This quote sort-of defines my life.

Example:  It's very possible that the whole "what-we're-having-for-dinner" conversation segue into the "what-movie-should-we-see-on-Friday" thought process went something like this in my head:

dinner tonight --> do I need to stop at the grocery store on the way home? --> hmm...grilled chicken sounds good -->  I wonder if we have enough lettuce for a salad? --> dinner Friday night --> date night...yay! --> If we go to Chili's, I need to remember to print the coupon they just emailed me --> free chips and queso = SCORE! --> I wonder if the babysitter ever confirmed for Friday night? --> I better call or text her to double check --> I need to remind her that Kinley wanted her to paint her nails -->  I also need to order pizza for the kids and babysitter Friday night --> I think we were going to see a movie after dinner --> I wonder what movies are playing? --> I should ask husband what movie he wants to see.

See how much I DIDN'T say so I wouldn't confuse you?  And you wonder why we get frustrated when you can't follow the "simple" things we say...  :)

Of course, according to the theory that men are like waffles, "what we're having for dinner tonight" is in it's own seperate compartment from "what movie we should see on Friday night".

I think I'm a good mixture of both--a little bit waffle and a little bit spaghetti...I can compartmentalize pretty well, but I'm also a fast multi-tasking thinker.  (Maybe another blog entry to come on that...?)

I see SOME truth in the analogy.  What do you think?  Do you have any examples for or against this?  I'd be happy to hear YOUR thoughts on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment