Saturday, June 9, 2012

One Of My All-Time FAVORITE Books:

I am a reader.  I wish I could say that I am an avid reader, but the truth is, I don't have enough time to be an "avid" reader.  One of my favorite things about road trips (like the 2 I'm looking forward to this summer) is having some time in the car to read. 

I have MANY favorite books.

But one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES is The Count of Monte Cristo.  (And co-incidentally, I was just talking about this book at a wedding today, even though this draft has been in my blog posts for about a week.)  I adore this book! Believe you me when I say that I have probably read it more than 10 times.  Actually, I'm reading it again now.  See!  I can't stop reading it!

There are many things I like about this book: the characters, the wording (I find myself wanting to call people Monsieur and Mademoiselle), the intrigue, the different types of love displayed throughout the book (father/son, lovers, friends, character/job, character/money, mother/son, grandfather/granddaughter, on and on...), the villainy, the repentance. 

However, there is 1 thing in particular that I love about this book:  the theme.  In a nutshell, it is this: Revenge isn't always what it's cracked up to be.  It's a good reminder in this day and age.

Read this book if you haven't.  You won't be sorry.

P.S. No, I have not seen the movie.  I'm always afraid that books-turned-into-movies will ruin the story I have created and logged in my imagination.  If you've seen the movie and read the book, what do you think???

No comments:

Post a Comment