Friday, May 11, 2012

Becoming a Mom- Part 2...4 is such a perfect number! (?)

I know, I know...I'm SO not focused on blogging right now.  What can I say?  Life is busy...

I already shared how I became Mom the first time.  If you haven't read it yet, you can read my previous posts.  If you have read it, you know that we struggled with infertility issues.  Because of that, after Caleb was born, we did not prevent pregnancy...at all.  If God gave us 2 kids smack-dab-in-a-row, that was just fine with us!  However...it still took well over a year to get pregnant again.

We had just gotten home from a trip to visit family in MI, where by the way, my mom had just asked if we were EVER going to have another grand baby for her.  I had been feeling a little "off" lately- no morning sickness, I just didn't feel right.  So, I took a pregnancy test, and sure enough, I was pregnant. 

I was pretty sure all along that we would have nothing but boys.  My husband's family is heavy on testosterone (boys).  And, being a science teacher, I know that the sex of the baby comes down to what's in Dad.  Sure enough, I was right...boy #2 was on his way!

My first pregnancy was high risk (pre-ecclampsia and Caleb had to be born at 36 weeks), so they were carefully monitoring me on this one.  Sure enough...pre-ecclampsia showed itself again = C-section again.  This time, because we knew a C-section was required, we were able to schedule it.  Darrin's parents flew in to take care of Caleb, and I was off to the hospital on February 27, 2006.  I'll spare you all the c-section details, except to say that everything went well.  I know people have all these horror stories about c-sections, but all of mine went great.  Ok.  Back to the subject at hand.  Dawson Christopher, 6 pounds 10 ounces, was healthy, and we were released 2 days later.  (And don't even get me started on the whole you're-out-of-the-hospital-in 2-days-even-if-you've-just-been-cut-open soapbox...just sayin'.)

We were now a happy family of 4!  What a perfect number!  2 children fit very comfortably in the back seat of any vehicle (no minivan needed!).  Hotel rooms are booked for 4 people.  There's a perfect 1 parent to 1 child ratio.  Seats on roller coasters are in sets of 2 so when the boys grow up I could ride with one and Darrin could ride with the other.  Oh, the perfection of a family of 4!

Stay tuned...this story ain't over...

No comments:

Post a Comment