Saturday, April 21, 2012

Re-gifting

Re-gifting.  You know. When you receive that candle as a gift, but it smells absolutely horrendous, but you can't stand to throw away a BRAND NEW candle, even though it smells awful.  So what do you do?  You re-gift it.  When it's Aunt Sarah's 50th birthday, you re-wrap it and justify it with, "Well, it really didn't smell THAT bad.  Aunt Sarah will love it."

Now think of the best gift you've ever recieved.  A puppy.  Your first car.  Your engagement ring.  No matter what it is, it has special significance to you.  You cherish it.  You take care of it.

Psalm 127:3 (NASB) "...children are a gift from the Lord..."
So now with my thoughts focused on up-coming Mother's Day, I ask: Are you re-gifting your kids? 

You say, "What?  How dare you insinuate that I would get rid of my kids in the same way I would get rid of a horrendous-smelling candle?"  What I mean is, are you "parenting" your child, or are you giving the job to others?

In this day and age, I see so many parents who want to be their child's friend.  They are afraid they will "lose" their child if they decide to be "the parent".  If this is the role you are taking on, who is parenting (i.e. being an authority figure, giving unconditional love, giving wisdom and guidance, etc) your child? Are you re-gifting your child to his school? To his grandparents? To your church?  Why are you afraid to BE THE PARENT?  They have plenty of friends.  They need a parent.

I also see many parents overly concerned about being "cool" to their kids.  They allow age-inappropriate activites to happen because they want to be the cool parent.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying parenting is all about being a dictator to your kids, but I am saying that kids need discipline, boundaries, and rules.  If you know you find yourself bending your own morals, standards, or family rules because you don't want your kids to be mad at you, I challenge you to ask yourself if you are helping or hurting your kids.  Are you treating them as the priceless gifts that they are?
Matthew 16:26 "What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"
YOU ARE THE PARENT.  Not the church, not the school, not the grandparents--YOU! 

I challenge all you parents out there to take an honest look at yourself.  Are your children a cherished gift that you love and take care of?  Or are you re-gifting your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment