Monday, February 23, 2015

Can You Make the Cut?


***If you have just started reading my blog, may I suggest that you read my past 2 blog posts? The train of thought I am on is not actually about gemstones, but something much deeper.***

As I continue my thoughts on "The 4 C's" (please see earlier postings), I find myself on "Cut". Gemstones are cut to enhance their beauty and overall “sparkle”. There are many cuts, or shapes, of gemstones; round (also called brilliant), princess, marquis, pear shaped, trillion, or even heart shaped.

The picture on this post shows a raw or uncut diamond. Diamonds in this state have value, but not as much as a cut diamond. Why? To cut the diamond makes it smaller, yet it still adds value? Isn't "bigger, better"?  Many men view the size of the diamond they buy as a direct connection to the size or quality of their love.  Many women accept that view too. But is bigger always better?  

As facets are cut into a gemstone, they allow the true beauty and color of the gemstone to show. The artistry and precision of the gem-cutter reveals a veritable rainbow in each and every facet.  What once looked like a pretty piece of crystal, now becomes an ever-lasting symbol of love between a man and a woman.  And it's pretty too.  ;)  It is important to note that cutting a raw diamond is risky. What if the gem-cutter makes the cut too deep or too shallow? What if the gem-cutter makes a cut in the wrong place?  If any of these things happen, it will significantly affect the value of the gem.  

As I look at my life, I am like the raw diamond. I know there are things that I must cut out of my life - negativity, fear of the future, insecurities, people who have hurt me, as well as many other things—things that I have become comfortable with. Allowing these things to be cut out of my life is risky.  It will change who I am.  It will significantly change my overall value.  What if The Gem-Cutter makes a cut in the wrong place or makes a cut too deep or too shallow?  If I allow myself to trust my Gem-Cutter, I trust that every cut He makes adds a new facet to my life that contributes to my overall “sparkle”. I trust my Gem-Cutter to guide me in making the cuts that will allow my true beauty and color to show, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment