Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A Girl's Best Friend

FIVE WOUNDS by dan hallett illustrator

***The train of thought I'm on is not actually about coal or gemstones, but something much deeper.  So if you're not into science or geology, bear with me and read through to the end.  ***

***WARNING*** The “geology geek” in me is about to peek out a smidgen, but PLEASE endure and read my post…I hope that it will challenge and encourage you!

Did you know that coal and diamonds are made of the same thing? Carbon. The black lumps that we threaten to give naughty children at Christmas and the sparkly gems that women yearn for and men go broke over are both carbon. What’s the difference? Well...to avoid a lot of science-y jargon, it comes down to 2 things:  1)  The chemical structure and 2) Where they are formed. If carbon finds itself (approximately) 80 miles below the surface of the earth, it can become diamond. What are the catalysts for change? Heat and Pressure. The heat comes from the Earth’s core, while the pressure comes from the 80 miles of earth + gravity pressing down on it.

Coal + 80 (or more) miles below the surface + heat + pressure + time (lots) = DIAMOND (ta-da!)

With all of my faults, I can so very easily relate to the coal. I can see others, who are “made of the same stuff” I am, but they sparkle and shine. What’s the difference? How can I transform from the lump of coal I feel that I am, into the gem I'm created to be? Heat and Pressure. Just like a lump of coal requires heat and pressure to transform it into a valuable diamond, my life requires heat and pressure to refine me.

When “the heat is on” can I make the right choices in difficult situations? Can I change the channel when there are compromising things on TV?  Can I zip my lips when I want to give someone a good tongue-lashing?  Can I make the right choices in the privacy of my personal thoughts?

And when the pressures of the world are weighing me down, I have to be strong enough to withstand the elements to become the gem I was created to be. I have to be able to look away from worldly criticism and believe in who God has created me to be.  It isn’t easy, but I have faith that the result will be worth the wait and prove much more valuable in the end.

II Corinthians 5:17 -- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has gone! The new has come.  -- Be the diamond you were created to be and SHINE!

Stay tuned as I continue this series on diamonds and explore the 4 C's...it's not just a geology lesson.  It's a geology lesson with spiritual implications...coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment