Thursday, July 19, 2012

On Adoption: Part 2 "DON'T ADOPT!"

There are some who just don't understand adoption.  I've actually heard people say, "If I can't have my own baby, then maybe I just won't have kids.  I could never raise someone else's child." Or, "I'll always know she/he isn't really my flesh and blood."  Or, "I just can't see how it's the same as having my own baby."

Speaking as an adoptee, let me be frank.  If that's how you feel, I'm asking you NOT to adopt. 

If you can't see that baby/child as your own baby/child, then DON'T ADOPT. 

If you feel that you're doing the world a favor and that adopting makes you "Humanitarian of the Year", then DON'T ADOPT. 

If you have children that are biologically your children and you don't think you can treat an adopted child the same, then DON'T ADOPT.

If you are adopting to simply "remove a child from a bad situation", but are not longing for a child to love, teach, and raise, then DON'T ADOPT.

If you are not willing to understand and deal with a child who may have issues with their identity later in life (which btw, is an issue not limited to adoptees), then DON'T ADOPT. 

If you are looking for a child to "fit your mold" and are not willing to understand that this child may come with emotional and spiritual baggage (and btw, who doesn't have baggage?), then DON'T ADOPT.

BUT...

If you are willing to lovingly, openly, and whole-heartedly, accept this child into your home as your own flesh and blood, then PLEASE ADOPT.

If you are willing to not only accept any emotional or spiritual baggage, but to do whatever it takes to help them work through their baggage, then PLEASE ADOPT.

If you are longing for a child to love, teach, and raise as your own, then PLEASE ADOPT.


Please understand.  I'm not looking down at people who may feel like they can't adopt.  It's not for everyone.  I'm simply saying that if you can't fulfill the requirements of a "PARENT", regardless of genetics, or if adoption is something you "really don't want to do" but it's the only way for you to have children, PLEASE re-think adoption, or pray and ask the Lord to change you heart regarding adoption.  

Adopting is NOT about practicing Christian charity.  (Although I DO believe that God blesses adoption.)  It's about creating a family. 

2 comments:

  1. erin... sorry i keep posting on all these posts, but they have been SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori...I LOVE hearing feedback! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete