Monday, October 1, 2012

Hoarding

Have you ever seen the show "Hoarders"?  It's a show about people who save EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING.  They have no room in their homes because it's so packed with junk that they think is important.  Often, because of their hoarding, they don't have any more livable space in their home. And the thing is, they've become so accustomed to the clutter, they don't even notice it.  In fact, they value it.

I don't often watch this show because, quite frankly, it grosses me out.

I recently cleaned out my dresser and closet.  There were some great items of clothing that I love, but for one reason or another, I don't wear them anymore, so they have become "closet clutter".  I used my trusty old slogan, "When in doubt, do without" and went to work weeding out clothes I don't wear.  It was time to get rid of the stuff I don't need anymore.

I started thinking about life and how I'm pretty sure that I hoard old feelings, old memories, negative thoughts, etc. and how "cluttered" my heart must be.  And just like the houses on the show "Hoarders" grosses me out, it is quite possible that I have trash in my heart that should gross me out too.  Is there any more livable space in my heart?  The answer is, yes.  There is some livable space in my heart, but I'm sure I can clear out some of the clutter that I have become accustomed to. 

So my challenge to myself is to de-clutter my heart.  I need to work on weeding out unhealthy thoughts, feelings, memories, etc.  I know that I can't ever forget certain things, but I can choose not to focus on them.  I can't erase past hurts, but I can choose to forgive.  I can't take back harmful words/actions directed at me, but I can choose to give someone another chance.  I can choose to label junk, as "junk"...to stop valuing it, and to put it in the trash where it belongs.

Life truly is about choices.  What will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment